The John R. Grubb Community YMCA proudly presents:
2022-2023 After School Program
Daily Hours: 2:40pm-5:30pm
Weekly Fee: $20.00
Non-Refundable Registration Fee: $10.00
King Elementary School
1849 Forest Ave, Des Moines, IA 50314
Email: Alesia Hassan
A typical day looks like…
- Wash Hands for Snack
- Snack Time with Group
- Health and Wellness
- Homework/Literacy/Academic Support
- Group Activity/Enrichment (STEM, Global Learning, Arts Education, Leadership)
After School Programs
The YMCA of Greater Des Moines After School Program is offered at King Elementary School.
Why choose the YMCA?
- The YMCA is a long-standing not-for-profit organization.
- The YMCA of Greater Des Moines has been serving this community since 1868, meeting changing community needs for over 140 years.
- In response to the needs of the community, the YMCA is one of the largest providers of school-age programs.
- Thanks to many generous community donors to the YMCA Y Partners campaign, the YMCA strives to never turn anyone away from the YMCA due to an inability to pay.
- Approximately 300 children are entrusted to our care every day across the Des Moines metro area.
- We meet state standards for our staff to child ratio. Our maximum ratio is 1:15 and often we exceed our staff ratios at most sites.
- An integral component of the YMCA’s quality programming is staffing. Our staff consists of mature and enthusiastic individuals who help us provide a quality, safe and enjoyable program. Reference checks are conducted, documented and filed on all employees working with children. A Criminal History Background Check, Physical, and a TB Test are also required.
- The YMCA of Greater Des Moines requires all school age program staff to take CPR, First Aid, and Child Abuse Prevention trainings within the first 45 days of employment.
The YMCA’s national character building campaign pledges to incorporate the values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility as part of all youth services programming. The YMCA seeks to support and strengthen the family unit, help children develop their fullest potential, and present programs and services in a positive YMCA environment of safety, support, and care.
Our curriculum focuses on core content areas, including:
- Tutoring and Mentoring
- 21st Century Skills
- College and Career
- Service Learning Activities
- Arts Education
- Leadership Development
- Health and Wellness Activities
- Parent and Family Engagement
- Global Learning
After School Programs
The specific activities associated with the core content areas generally take place in one or more of the following contexts, each of which is balanced throughout the day or week:
- Homework Help
- Academic & Social Enrichment
- Math & Literacy Enrichment
- Physical Activity
Parents will realize that the YMCA After School Program will help their child:
- Interact with others who are different from him or her, and be respectful to others’ feelings and property
- Learn how to do what is right even when other kids want to do something else
- Learn that it is important to help others
- Improve school performance, both socially and academically
What about no school days?
The YMCA provides continuous care throughout the school year. If we are unable to provide care on a no school day families will be notified 2 weeks in advance. This is a full-time program, and payment is required regardless of if your child attends.
Summer Day Camps and Resident Camp
The YMCA of Greater Des Moines offers a wide range of Summer Day Camps for preschoolers through teens. Visit our website at www.dmymca.org for detailed information on the many camps offered by the YMCA during the summer months.
Fees and Payment Options
The YMCA accepts weekly payments via checking/savings account, debit card, or credit card. Other payment options will be discussed with the Program Coordinator. The King Elementary After School site accepts Child Care Assistance vouchers. For questions or more details about payments, please contact the program director at (515) 975-8762.
How Do I Register?
Please fill out the registration form, and pay the non-refundable registration fee of $10.00 to the office at King Elementary, online or at the Welcome Center at the John R. Grubb Community YMCA. Weekly payments will be drafted the Friday before your week of care. If you can’t pay by debit/credit card or checking account you MUST fill out a paper registration form.
After turning in your registration form and all appropriate fees, you will receive a notification about parent orientation via e-mail during the summer.
You will NOT be allowed to register for the After School Program if you have any outstanding balances from any other YMCA Program.
Registration forms turned in without the registration fee will NOT be accepted.
Childcare assistance families apply here